Loading Map....

Date/Time
Date(s) - 13/09/2014
11:00 am - 3:00 pm

Location
Prince's Street

Categories


Founded in 1849, Mr Peter Kaye bought the land to have a school and chapel built upon it and that’s how the parish of St Anne’s began. The first Rector was an apostolic priest, Fr. Joseph Vincent Meaney, a member of a family which had sent out many priests from Ireland to labour among the Irish poor abroad. Fr. Meaney died here in 1874. His assistant, Fr. Edward Woods waged a fierce war against intemperance and his Congregation was formed specially to meet this evil and took inspiration from the agony of Christ’s thirst on the Cross. An arson attack gutted the church in Dec 2000. Initially demolition of the 1928 building was thought the only option but c.£600,000 was raised to carry out restoration and it was officially re-opened by the Bishop of Salford at a special service in June 2004. The new church can cater for c.200 people, as opposed to the 800 capacity it had before the blaze.

Opening Times

  • Saturday 13 September: 1100 – 1500